Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Miss Thousand Islands 2015

Summer is the perfect time for a nice weekend getaway, so last week I took Friday off and headed up to Clayton, New York! I was so excited to enjoy the beautiful St. Lawrence River and attend the Miss Thousand Islands Pageant. The Miss Thousand Islands Organization was celebrating their 50th anniversary, and as a member of the golden sisterhood I was glad to support the wonderful people that make the pageant so special.

Miss Thousand Islands was my first local pageant of the 2014 season. It was SUCH a wonderful experience for me. I grew as a competitor and met some girls who would become my closest pageant sisters this year.

Olivia, Madison, Emily and I all competed at Miss Thousand Islands together, and we all made it to the Miss New York stage!

Competing in Clayton last year also introduced me to the Thousand Islands region. My mother, sister, and I were all looking forward to returning this year. We arrived on Friday evening, got settled in our hotel, and then took a nice walk down the main street. We decided to have dinner at the Johnston House, which proved to be a great choice. I ordered the 'Namaste,' their vegan offering. Friday night's chef selection was green beans, potatoes, spinach, and peppers in a light lemon-oil sauce. Delicious!

Saturday, we had breakfast at the Koffee Kove before heading to Alexandria Bay to take a boat to Singer Castle. The boat ride was about an hour long, and there were so many islands to check out along the way. You can even buy your own, with a fabulous home and tennis court, for a cool 2.2 million!

Couldn't resist pulling out my sash for a quick picture at Singer Castle!

Singer Castle was beautiful--and had a few secret passageways to explore. Did anyone else dream of having those in their home as a kid?! After the castle tour, we returned to Clayton and enjoyed lunch at Bella's. Their apple cinnamon scones are to die for--I may have eaten at least 5 over the course of the weekend!

At 7 PM, it was pageant time!

It was so great to see some of my pageant sisters! Miss NY, Kira, was also in attendance!

The Thousand Islands Organization put on a beautiful show. The contestants were all fabulous, but I have to give an extra-special shout-out to Kristina Blackstock. We competed at Miss Thousand Islands together last year. She is such an incredible gal--brains, beauty, talent, and a truly kind heart. She drove out to Syracuse in a storm last year to support me as I competed at the Miss Syracuse triple crown. I was delighted to support her this weekend and so happy to see her win Miss Congeniality, the Miracle Maker award, and place First Runner Up! 

When crowning time came, I couldn't wait to see who would wear the Miss Thousand Islands crown (and special 50th Anniversary sash)!

Your new Miss Thousand Islands 2015, Allison Carlos! Pictured here with the fabulous Olivia (Miss TI 2014), Kira (Miss NY), and Joelle (Miss TIOT).

I was so happy for Allison Carlos when I heard her name called as Miss Thousand Islands 2015! I have been following her amazing blog that shares her experiences as a foster parent. I know she will spend her year of service inspiring many people with her generous spirit.

I was so sad to leave Clayton behind and make the drive back downstate on Sunday. I had a wonderful weekend, and I look forward to returning to the Thousand Islands in October when they host their first Outstanding Teen pageant!

See you soon, St. Lawrence River!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs