Monday, April 21, 2014

Operation PROM. Mission = Success!

I sometimes wonder if my desire to participate in pageants stemmed from the fact that I never went to prom.

Yep...you read that correctly. I went to a high school that didn't even offer a prom for its students. This was definitely a disappointment for me--I had dreamed of choosing the perfect dress and (if I was so lucky!) being crowned prom queen since I was a little girl. Thankfully, I've had the chance to choose dream dresses as I've competed for various pageant titles. I've also had the opportunity to work with Operation PROM, an organization founded by Noel D'Allaco that provides prom dresses to girls nationwide who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the perfect gown.

The very first time I met Noel, back in 2011!

Since my year of service as Miss Westchester 2012, I've supported Operation PROM by attending their fundraising events and gathering dress donations each year. This past Saturday, I had the opportunity to assist at one of their dress giveaways for the first time. It was such a wonderful experience to work with the other Operation PROM volunteers and meet the young women who came to find a gown. Saturday was the last gown giveaway of the season, so once 2 PM hit the public was invited to purchase gowns for just $1! Needless to say, the room was quickly filled with women excitedly stocking up on dresses for upcoming special events. There was never a dull moment on Saturday, and I'm so glad I had the chance to spend the day volunteering!

The highlight of my day was helping this beauty find the perfect dress! Her reaction to this gown was just like something you'd see on 'Say Yes to the Dress'--she knew she had found "the one!"

Doors opened at 10 AM, and things remained relatively calm for a few hours...

...but when the $1 sale began, things got quite a bit busier!

 Once you find the perfect dress, you need the perfect accessories!

Teresa is the director of Peekskill Pageants, and Shay is the reigning Little Miss Cinco de Mayo! Shay named my Poochie & Co pup Fluffy, and once my reign is over, she will be adopting the cute pooch!

Dress shopping takes a LOT of energy! My beautiful friend Sam (Miss Westchester Teen 2011 and current Red Bull marketing pro) understands that, and came by to deliver the gift of wings! 

Congratulations, Noel, on another successful year of Operation PROM giveaways in Westchester! You are such an inspiration to young women throughout the county and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs