Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bark for Life

Today, I had the chance to attend an event that combined some of my favorite things: supporting the American Cancer Society, promoting my platform, and playing with some adorable pups! The 3rd annual Bark for Life of Westchester was hosted in Tarrytown, NY on the grounds of Lyndhurst Castle.

With my sweet puppy, Duke! Duke actually had to go home early today...he just turned 1 and was a bit TOO excited to be around so many other dogs!

The day kicked off with a walk around the Lyndhurst grounds led by three cancer survivors and their dogs. One of the survivors was the event chair, Gigi. She is the leader behind this incredible event and was walking with her three labs! There were so many dogs participating, and a wide variety of breeds and sizes represented. One of the sweetest parts of the walk was when a 70 pound pit bull met a tiny teacup yorkie who weighed less than 2 pounds. He was so gentle with her!


The event also featured a demonstration from the Westchester County Police K9 Unit. The officers brought a bloodhound and German shepherd to wow the crowd with their skills. I was so impressed!

Team MSP in action!

One of the most special parts of the day was being able to promote my platform and support My Sisters' Place, an agency that I've been working with since 2011. I've talked about My Sisters' Place here before--they provide services to survivors of domestic violence and sex trafficking, run educational programs for teens, and much more! Today, we set up a table to get the word out about Team MSP. Team MSP combines fitness with philanthropy--we will be running at various races in Westchester County this year to raise awareness about domestic violence and raise money to support My Sisters' Place. 

Bark for Life also had stations set up manned by local animal adoption agencies. I had the opportunity to speak with the volunteers from Adopt-A-Dog, and met some of the puppies they have available for adoption. This guy was my favorite--he is a chocolate lab/pit bull mix and SUCH a sweetheart. I wanted to bring him home with me! Adopt-A-Dog will be hosting a special event of their own in September: Puttin' On the Dog. I'm already planning to attend!


If you're looking to adopt a dog, I recommend reaching out to:

Of course, this post would not be complete without a photo with a #GirlsBestFriend, my Poochie & Co purse!


My boyfriend, Tom, doing his best to keep Duke from making a snack of Poochie!

I had a blast at Bark for Life, and can't wait to attend again next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs