Tuesday, April 1, 2014

#30DaysofSAAM (Sexual Assault Awareness Month)

I cannot believe that it is already April 1! Today marks exactly one month since I was crowned Miss Empire Star 2014. I am loving every minute of being a Miss America local title holder--it really is everything I imagined it would be and more. Before you know it, I'll be passing on the crown to my successor, so I intend to continue making as many appearances as I can to support my community and increase awareness about teen dating violence.

April 1 also marks the beginning of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM).


The 2014 SAAM Campaign focuses on healthy sexuality and young people--my favorite target audience! The goal is to empower teens to:
  • Make decisions that are informed and turn to trusted adults for support and guidance when needed
  • Understand consent and how to respectfully interact with partners, friends, and peers
  • Help influence their peers in a positive manner by promoting positive social norms and engaging in bystander intervention
  • Recognize sexual violence and seek help and support when sexual violence occurs
  • Provide support and information to peers and others who have experienced sexual violence

I am a supporter of this campaign because it highlights an area of dating violence that isn't always spoken about: sexual abuse. It is easy to think of dating violence as simply hitting someone you're in a relationship with. But it is so much more than that--unwanted sexual contact is a form of dating violence and domestic abuse, and it is never okay.

Throughout the month, I'll be posting about SAAM on twitter, and I'll also be joining in on their Instagram campaign: #30DaysofSAAM. For more information on the campaign, check out their website! Here's my first post:

4/1: This is what an activist looks like #DayofAction

You can keep up with my posts all month here, and I hope you'll join the movement with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs