Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Hands are Not for Hitting Workshop at Alcott School

I can't believe I'm writing this blog post from Staten Island! Yes--it's pageant week! Check-in is tomorrow morning, and I spent all of today running my last minute errands to prepare for all the excitement that awaits. Well, almost all day -- first, I stopped by the Alcott Montessori School to visit my mother's extended day classroom. She has a group of eighteen 3-to-5-year-olds that I was able to share my platform with.

You may be wondering how I approach the topic of domestic violence with such young children. Well, I don't...at least, not specifically! Instead, I bring the book "Hands are Not for Hitting" to read, discuss the importance of respecting others and using your hands for productive purposes, and create some beautiful hand artwork with the kids. It is a great way to introduce them to foster healthy relationships with their family and friends. 

I had such a wonderful time this morning--there is something about the sweet spirit and funny comments of preschoolers that can always bring a smile to my face! I was even happier to hear that the children remained engaged in the idea that "hands are not for hitting" after I left, and continued to create hand art all afternoon! I hope that this foundation remains with them as they grow up (because, let's face it, it happens so fast!) and they begin to date.

Here are some pictures from the morning. I hope you enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs