Thursday, July 17, 2014

Team MSP Updates

Things are supposed to slow down in the summer...right?! Apparently, my life missed that memo! It's okay--I've always enjoyed a busy life and my current commitments to work, family, friends, pageants, and volunteerism are no exception.

One of the projects I'm excited to be dedicating more time to currently is Team MSP! Our leadership committee is working hard to foster new community connections, plan fundraising events, and prepare for our fall races. Here's what I've been up to...

Charmed by Charity
While Team MSP is committed to raising awareness about domestic violence and the work that My Sisters' Place is doing, we are also committed to raising funds to support My Sisters' Place financially. We have decided to focus our fundraising efforts on the incredible services that My Sisters' Place provides for children.

With over $30,000 raised already (woot woot!), I'm hosting a fundraiser with the wonderful Alex and Ani Store in Rye next Tuesday, July 22. By shopping that evening between 5 PM and 7 PM in store, you'll be supporting My Sisters' Place, as 15% of the evening's proceeds will be donated to MSP! If you can't make it, please let me know--there will be an option to call in your orders as well.

Triath-WHAT?!
I have always loved to swim. I learned as a child, swam competitively in elementary school, and worked as a lifeguard in high school. Yet I have always hated the ocean. Don't get me wrong--I love visiting the beach, playing in the sand, and even dipping my toes in the water. I just have an (irrational) fear of sea life. The only time I have ever felt comfortable swimming in the ocean was in Hawaii. While there--we visited a cove where the water was so crystal clear, I could see straight down to the ocean floor. You don't find that in New York!

I recently began working on a list of 25 things I'd like to do before I turn 25 next August. One of those things? Overcome my fear and swim in the ocean. And what better way to check that off my list than completing another challenge--conquering my first-ever triathlon?! And so, I am officially planning on participating in Westchester's Super Sprint Triathlon with Team MSP!


I'm definitely nervous--but the Super Sprint is very short, and with the right preparation, I know I'll be physically ready for the challenge. It's the mental hurdles that I'll really need to overcome! I've also started shopping for race day gear--yes, the only way you'll get me into the ocean is in a wetsuit. For all of the experienced triathletes out there...any tips for this newbie?

And more...
As Team MSP continues to grow, we will be partnering with local schools and organizations to get the community moving this fall! I'm hoping to schedule a Team MSP softball tournament, so stay tuned for more info on that. And, in addition to the Super Sprint Triathlon, Team MSP will be racing at the Run the Farm Five Mile Trail Race in October.

If you're interested in joining Team MSP, head over to our website! I would love to have you on my team, the Empire Stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs