Friday, March 14, 2014

Join Me on Team MSP!

One of the reasons that I got involved with pageantry is the incredible opportunities it offers to promote a personal platform. Since the summer of 2010, I have been dedicated to empowering men, women, teens, and children with the tools they need to fight against domestic violence. In the spring of 2011, I completed a 30-hour training course through My Sisters' Place (MSP) which gave me the opportunity to begin volunteer work as a Sister-in-Law. As a Sister-in-Law, I accompanied women to their court dates, where they often would be facing their abuser for the first time since leaving them. Sister-in-Law volunteers provide emotional support during these difficult moments.

Since then, I have remained a dedicated MSP volunteer. I've had the opportunity to speak and volunteer at their annual "Love Shouldn't Hurt" conference for Westchester teens, provided childcare services for mothers receiving counseling, painted a residential shelter, and represented MSP at community events. I even had the chance to attend their annual fundraising gala alongside the New York Giants organization, a supporter of MSP.


My newest role at MSP is as a leadership committee member for their new initiative, Team MSP.  My Sisters' Place is dedicated to moving towards a world of respect, and Team MSP invites supporters to move with us...literally! Being a part of Team MSP allows you to choose MSP as your charity to support as you bike, swim, mud ruck, or participate in traditional road races. We're also working on ways to expand this initiative nationwide, allowing supporters near and far to fundraise for MSP as they get their sweat on.

This year, you can participate in the following athletic events and help us spread our message of respect, equality, and peacefulness:
  • The Running Goddess (June 2014)- Kathonah, NY (Ladson Park) Adult Free: $90, Child/Student Fee: $50
  • North Avenue Mile (June 2014)- New Rochelle, NY – Adult Fee: $90, Child/Student Fee $50
  • Westchester Super Sprint Triathlon (September 2014)- Rye, NY (300 yard swim, 6 mile bike, 1 mile run) Adult Fee: $125, Child/Student Fee: $70
  • Run The Farm 5 Mile Trail Run (October 2014)- Katonah, NY – Adult Fee: $90, Child/Student Fee: $50
 I will be participating in at least 3 of these races (I'm a little bit scared of the Triathlon, but may convince myself to give it a try!) and would love to run alongside you! This is a fabulous and FUN opportunity to support the great work that MSP is doing. Team MSP runners will be receiving a jersey to wear when they race, and we're going to be planning some training activities that should be a blast.

I'm also very excited to announce that I will be sponsoring Team MSP through my blog, Sweatsational, and will be hosting a giveaway for race entry as the events approach. Keep an eye out!

Take the time to check out the initiate on the MSP website and sign up for a race (or two...or three...or all four!). I'll be posting more about #TeamMSP as I prepare for these events and run them...hopefully with you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs